Barrel riding tips

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

tomway
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by tomway »

DarcyM wrote: Total committment, but to me I'm looking at that section in front. That spells close-out to me. Were I in this situation I would be jamming hard to make it to the corner where I could hopefully speed out into the flats and avoid getting slammed by the lip. What say most of you?
I often squabble with mates about this who mostly seem to agree with you (Darcy), but like wino, I reckon being in the tube is the safest place. If it pinches, then chances are you'll get sucked down, round and out the back of the wave rather than over with the lip.

In my books straightening out means either heading towards sharp sticky out bits of reef, risking taking a lip in the back of the neck, or dealing with the rest of the set and getting back out.
surfhorn
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by surfhorn »

Pulling into a closeout barrel - and then grabbing the outside of your nose rail and punching through the wave face- is a safer approach. But it depends of the wave conditions. Sometimes the flats is your only recourse.
kbing since plywood days
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

when i reach that point where i'm going to bail on a closeout i intentionally catch my outside rail and as the board gets sucked up the face i dive (as horizontally as i can) to the spot just beside the curtain. it's the shallowest spot and if you do it right the wave just rolls over you. of course depending on how shallow it is.... this does'nt work in less than a foot of water. :lol:
the most insane tubes i've got were almost all on waves that looked like closeouts and where i just held on through sections where i could'nt see anything. i think you have to hold on and hope for the best sometimes.
no pain
no gain
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
maxb

Post by maxb »

on closouts just stay in as long as possible. usually the compression from the collapse will push you and your board down and out the back,safe and sound :twisted: :twisted: exceptions:big wedge,big blacks,etc.
kbing newport
K-man

Post by K-man »

Gain as much speed as possible,bury the tail/rail,Grab the outside rail at the nose.swing the board around,get sideways,and using the speed,redirection,punch through the back.Works great in small/med waves.

cheers
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScottMac

Re: post

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frankfqr

tubing

Post by frankfqr »

Two big factors that have been touched on, 1--Knowing when to bail or ride it out (Blind Faith) approach. You know the section is shallow and criticle, but are you to deep (bail) or is it possible? Split second decision, sucks when you bail off the nose only to see it open up. 2---The one that bugs me the most is that point of comitment when your so deep and you can feel that foam ball rumbling up your tail and your locked in, what a rush-----. But while on post how 'bout RAILS? No glory lip bangs for me, my goal has always been barrel shots, either precise bottom turn placement or fly thru's----once in, I love the feel of a full round rail, holding on it's own, jacked up on the face, more rail feel then fins......how say you?
ross

Post by ross »

ride em to the death i say.

some of the best barrels i've ever had were the ones i thought i wasn't going to make and the best "tubevision" always comes with the ones you don't come out of. The fastest way to start getting set waves at places like G-land or Scars etc, is to pull into everything!!!

To me tube riding is about subtleties.
counterbalancing your movements to keep your inside rail engaged.
i try to keep my stance (knance?) as sleek and compact as possible, keeping all my limbs out of the water until i need something to slow me down.

To stall i like to "push" water with my inside hand rather than drag it, using the palm of my hand infront of my body rather than behind. The response is immediate and its easier to control. Sometimes i use both hands to stall.

i often make little dicoveries about subtle little things i'm doing subconciously.Like my foot on the outside rail hooks onto the rail, sometimes to lift the rail cause hands are doing something else.i only found this out becuase i bruised the inside of my foot and could feel it when i was pulling in.

I think if you just pull into every hollow wave you catch, without hesitation, you will pick up your own little habits for getting in and out of em. If you don't hesitate you'll rarely get hurt.

Watching in the tube footage by Greenough, Brian Conelly and The Sparrow is hypnotic. All far better tuberiders than i'll ever be but it's interesting to put yourself in there with them. The lines they take and decsisions made are so different to your own.
i find myself weighting and unweighting in the lounge chair :lol:
Scott

Post by Scott »

Great post, Ross. Lots to think about there. This whole thread has been very enjoyable for me and, frankly, I'm glad it's moving away from the qualities of the kneeboard to more closely on the qualities of the kneeboarder--that's the key variable in how much tube time is logged (IMO)
jdkneelo

Post by jdkneelo »

Just close your eyes and pull in (a hard habit to break)
SamC
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by SamC »

how can you close your eyes?!! its one of the best views you can get. I sometimes get my eyes full of salt water for holding them open for too long. :D
Kev

Post by Kev »

SamC wrote:how can you close your eyes?!! its one of the best views you can get.
perhaps so
:(
but I have to keep my eyes closed
cos I'll loose the contact lenses if I don't
:shock:
sometimes I loose them either way
8)
and if I do loose them I can't see the view to enjoy it anyway

have to look at the magazines and/or Simon's videos to enjoy many of the good views in surfing
CONTIKI

Post by CONTIKI »

[quote="Beeline2.0"]Tuberiding:

1)Setup and Timing: needs a board that does bottom turns excessively well.
Barrel time is about setting it up off the bottom.
you need a board that can stick a bottom turn, on the outer reaches
of the bottom, and then bring you back in.

2) Carrying Speed: a boards width can be a problem.
Sometime when setting up tubes via bottom turns you drain your speed
to be in the right spot. With a very wide board and low speed in a critical section your board will want to tend to lift instead of squirt forward and pick up speed.

3) Board Width: Some boards dont bottom turn well, hence you tend to surf it in a style that stays ahead of the lip. Or the board is too wide
for attaining speed from a stall in the curl area.

BOTTOM TURN???BOTTOM TURN???BOTTOM TURN???

WASTE OF TIME AND ENERGY.

JUST SET UP IN THE LIP AND WAIT.
*WAVES ARE OF THE ESSENCE*
5 SUMMER STORIES
CONTIKI

Post by CONTIKI »

KEEP PRACTICING IN HOLLOW SHOREGRIND!!!
IT HONED MY SKILLS.
*WAVES ARE OF THE ESSENCE*
5 SUMMER STORIES