San Mateo Coast

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

AM_Glass
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

San Mateo Coast

Post by AM_Glass »

I saw someone exiting the water as I drove between Ano Nuevo and Pigeon Point not too far from the gas station. Even at 70mph the sight of someone with a kneeboard under one arm and a pair of fins hanging off the other hand catches my eye. Not to mention the fact that it was along a strech of coast known more for sharks than ridable waves. Even more strange was that he was parked on the opposite side of a locked gate, which I figure makes him a local, or at least a guy with a key!

Who was this guy? And just as important, how were the waves?
It could be worse, I could be in Oakla-homa.
ScottMac
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
fooj

Post by fooj »

exsanguination. Brah, das one nuts word.
bongbong
stemple

Post by stemple »

Working on that part of the coast somewhat I have seen the gazo's creek area go off with no one out. I could never nut it up enough to paddle out by myself. I have seen another kneelo surf it though (by himself). I think he lives in half moon bay or somewhere in the mtns nearby and has way bigger balls than me.
ross

Post by ross »

could the lone kneelo spotted, be Scott Wessling??
i know he doesn't mind sniffing a few waves out in that area. 8)
DarcyM

Post by DarcyM »

fooj wrote:exsanguination. Brah, das one nuts word.
CSI, dude.
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
fooj

Post by fooj »

What's that?
bongbong
Craig

Post by Craig »

fooj, he bled out.

sTiLl a gRoM :!:
fooj

Post by fooj »

What's CSI? (Nah, I know, just don't watch it). Ex=latin for out of, from; sanguine=Latin for blood. Two years of Latin under my belt. Brah, das still one mean word. Oh an no let me pull da isolated island boy card on you guys, we get television and internet you know. Now smokin' rock das anada story. His neighborhood get real dicey cell phone reception an no mo Starbucks.
bongbong
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Ohhhh...

I thought it was a Da Vinci code thing...

As in <insert guttoral inhale> 'I feel the blood of the Virgin Mary coursing through my veins!'

ARRRRRR!

Still psycho! Sharky, sharky, sharky.

AMGlass... are you a reincarnation, new member, ??? You're close by, and wondering if this is a case of handle change? PM with id! I'm still out for awhile, but always looking for partners in crime (mostly outside the blood letting zone, but will take chances for rewards!)
Scott

Post by Scott »

Ross,

Gazos Creek Ranch is just too scary alone; maybe with about 15 other people in the water I might chance it. That area of coast is close by and about level with the top of the Ano Nuevo point--it's just a leisurely short swim up the beach for some of the biggest "lurkies" around.

I have surfed Pescadero a number of times; it's just a few miles further up but somehow "feels safer," and always with a mate.

Geez, I haven't been in the water for about a month, and have been whining and moaning about it. Suddenly, this thread has made me feel rather happy about my recent fate...
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

I surfed Greyhound Rock one lonely Fall day with one other friend, just the 2 of us out. It was small, overcast and just spooky. I couldn't relax and enjoy myself, and that was before I know what I know now..
gumby

Post by gumby »

Am going to be in SC area in a few weeks. Hope to get some water time. Storys like this I no need. :roll:
To do what I want to do
I have to do what have to do

Craig
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

I attended SF State 1974-78. The last 2 years I had had it with the City life and moved back to the Santa Cruz County beaches and just went to school on Tues & Thursdays, driving up Highway 1. The rest of the week I worked at Freeline and surfed Moss a lot.

Back then there was little traffic so I could really fly up Highway 1. But there were also many less surfers and a lot of open waves. I was studying biogeography and had to 'train my professors; if I wasn't in school, I probably stopped to 'research' the nearshore waters of the coastline.

I surfed just about every spot between Santa Cruz and SF- and most of the time I was the only person in the water. Imagine driving up to Waddle Creek on a Tuesday morning and its going off at 6 foot, glassy and not a soul in the water or on land. Or walking through the elephant seals to get to Ano by myself. I made it a point to surf any break I saw at least once even if it was rocky.

I was even able to do a surfing resource study for one class by keeping a log for a year of breaks/number of surfers/swell, etc. Tied it in with some historic aerial phos and --viola-- college credit for surfing! lol

The shark factor was also less due to the fact that the Marine Mammal Protection Act was just adopted in 1972 and the seal/whale/porpoise/otter populations were much less back then: less food = less GWS. Today we see the positive effects of that 1972 act; we have a thriving ocean mammal population as well as a healthy shark population.
kbing since plywood days