Surf Report 2009

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

alfredo zavala
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by alfredo zavala »

Would have to agree that I have been seeing ALOT of critters lately!!
Had some very close encounters with seals on the aggressive side.
I was paddling over a small wave on sat and a small seal went straight for me than under me in the wave at full speed!
First time this has ever happened to me. Same day a pod of dolphins were all around me, very close and a rather large one did the full sea world Flipper somersault about 7 feet from me! The pelicans have been putting on the dive bomb shows of all time!
Lots of bait fish balls I guess.
K-man

Post by K-man »

Swell bumped again.3.4-11...not bad .Good tides this afternoon in the channel.Looks like decent south all this week... 8)

Somebody mentioned that to me.Been a few around for several yrs.No idea where they came from.Santa cruz is a long swim!Was a grizzled old male that hung around P reyes for yrs.We'd see him at the reefs on ocassion,and thats about 8mi.from the point.A real cruiser.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Best Nor Cal summer ever? Some guys were saying: "best since '82".

Everyone is so surfed out, the breaks are relatively empty at times.

More predicted next week.
K-man

Post by K-man »

That sounds about right. Lots Of early souths combined with late NW'S make a good spring/summer surf season... :D Too small today out here,crons probably good,but be no driving today!!.
Just got an E-mail from my bro on kauai,says they've got two differnt souths,both from around NZ.Maybe we'll catch a bit of that in a few days.

cheers
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Too small down here really today but I went out early AM
anyways just to get wet. The beaches are a freakin zoo
right now with the holiday. People were getting turned away
from the state beach parking lots before noon with no
beach parking available anyplace in the south county.

Santa Cruz is starting to get too small itself these days.

Yesterday was fun and I was able to grab some good waves
last week up north of town in the afternoon. Hopefully another
pulse of south will fill in tomorrow through Monday.

Sh!t, word right now is that another forest fire has started
down in Big Sur up the WC watershed. Two big fires last year
and another one started today. :(

Edit: wrong WC - it's the one up in the Sierra's :roll: 8)
Last edited by ScottMac on Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-man

Post by K-man »

Fires...Summertime, the nut jobs are wandering the hills... :roll: Today was parade day in town... :shock: Only one way in to this town and one way out.Gridlock......Surfed the north reef with two bros,1-2,real small,but quiet,no boom boxes... :lol: Yeah,looks like a south boost tom,hopefully.

cheers
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Not much swell inside the bay this morning at the
beaches but up north of town it was filling in and
lot's of fun. Surfed this reef/rockpile with two other
guys. One of them Roy, is a longtime local kneeboarder.

Some nice left bowls and fast sections to be had.

Surf should be picking up as the day goes on and
looks to be good again tomorrow.
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Just got back from Pismo. Small scale, but dependably glassy for the early sessions. Surfed 3 out of 4 days.

Morro (rock) yesterday looked tempting, but one peak, one zoo, and one family meant fish tacos at Giovanni's instead.

Another family outing was to Oso Flaco. Interesting... and remote!

Grover and Pismo State Beach was swarming with RVs, off-roaders, and the better part of the central valley population. We passed.

Locally, it looks like the typical high pressure is settling in again, meaning it's time to escape the onshores.
MWROBERTSON

HB/Newport

Post by MWROBERTSON »

HB/Newport,

Came together today. A perfect slow rising tide, glassy wedging 3-4ft peaks. Some spiiters today at RJ to the Pier area. Strange 55 degree water.
Casey Patelski
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

RJ's Went off today too

Post by Casey Patelski »

RJ's had oily smooth 5-7 ft faces, W. wind swell meets S. ground swell, steep wedge-slab drops, some into short taperd shoulders, some grinding tunnels of love. Violent wet dream in the end though. The Poison Dart fit in just right. Shallow short paddles out thru the waist deep grave yard.
Left overs tomorrow?
COVE PADS,KneeloLab 6-0PoisonDart DeanCleary 3x Cncav Roundtail 5Fin, 6-0 PoisonDart Infinity 3x Cncav Pintail 3 Fin, Blast 5-9StubVector Swallow Quad, 5-9Vartanian Poison Dart 3x Cncav PinTail 3fin, 6-0Flashpoint DoubleBump Swallow & 5-10 WingPin 3fins.
Razor
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Razor »

THE COVE was going off no crowds top to bottom very FUN
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

T
Today sucked - blown out
maxb

Post by maxb »

okay people, we SUPPOSEDLY :roll: have a large south coming for this weekend ,i will check wedge early to see if it is ridable, anyone interested? pm me or give me a call 714-904-6240 . i'm sure most places will be pretty walled if this swell lives up to the hype :roll: anyone with some other ideas other than trestles ( f/=@ those crowds) let me know.
jim have fun at abreojos, wish i was going :cry:
max
kbing newport
K-man

Post by K-man »

Lifted this straight off the stormsurf site.This site is generally a bit more conservative,meaning more reliable.Looks like the cali coast is in for at least 4 days of good swell.No doubt be bigger south of point conception.

North California: Expect swell arrival starting Thursday evening with swell pushing 2.0 ft @ 21 secs at sunset (shoulder to head high with top spots 1 ft overhead on the rare sets). By Friday AM (7/24) the swell to be getting quite solid with swell 4.0 ft @ 19 secs (7.5 ft faces with sets 4-5 ft overhead and better at top spots) pushing 4.6 ft @ 18 secs at sunset (8 ft faces with double overhead sets or more). Saturday AM (7/25) expect swell to hold at 4.3-4.6 ft @ 16 secs (7 ft faces with top spots 3-4 ft overhead or better at top spots) and holding through the day. Still solid swell of 4.0 ft @ 14-15 secs is expected on Monday (6 ft faces or slightly better). Swell Direction: 192 degrees
Scott

Post by Scott »

Looking forward to some good surf! There was supposed to be some nice mix of small south and small NW this last weekend; thought it would be a great time to visit Alfredo and Barry, and surf the Morro Bay area. Had such a great time with them both, but the swell was pretty small. Had to drive all the way up to the Big Sur area to get some 3 footers and have some memorable encounters. Barry and Jodi showed me the quaint San Luis Obispo downtown, gave me the key to the city, etc. Next day we surfed 1-2' clean ones as best we could. Barry just stands up and surfs it that way whenever he wants, anyway. I did a session without flippers just to experience the freedom and see if I could still paddle into waves. Not as bad as I thought... The highlight, though, was the two of us standing on a slightly submerged rock for the second hour, giddily waiting to jump into the passing waves. Jodi on the beach said we looked like a couple of twelve year olds.

So, I'm all set for some real swell! Maybe I'll even wear my flippers...