what board to learn on?

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

Stanley
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Stanley »

Hi dua anjing.
Its great to here you are looking froward to knee boarding again . Where do you surf? I mainly surf on the Mornington peninsula.

Are you looking at getting a Twin fin kneeboard because thats what Mike Descasio mainly shapes( strapper).

Most guys are riding thrusters these days and maybe you should meet up with a few vicco kneelos and try their equipment before you make a decision. The other vicco kneelos wont lend me their boards ...hum... I don't know why... But you could be lucky.

A chap by the name of Red has a lot of boards and he would probley lend you one .You can get in contact with him through this site... Awesome fella ,great kneeboarder and would enjoy going for a surf with you..

If you ever want to go surfing the Mornington peninsula look me up through this site we will get some waves together

Cheers

Stan

http://kneeboardsurfingvic.blogspot.com/
dua anjing

Are you that Stan ???

Post by dua anjing »

Your Site/Blog was basically what got me of my butt !! I live just out of Cranbourne but I work (and live during the week in Torquay) long story, best left for after a surf. Anyway when the company I work for offered me accom. in Torquay I jumped at it with open arms, had to get my boys into surfing so I bought a pair of minimals for them, watching them have so much fun drove me to 'net . A quick google of "kneeboards" led to your site, that inspired me enough to drag my old kb out. And now here I am ! Man I wouldnt't be dead for quids!! I will take you up on your offer but first I want to get back into the swing of it all so I don't embarass myself to much. I'm currently on the ferry heading home from Torquay so I going past your way real soon, off to the Island tomorrow to see what second-hand goodies Island boards have.

See ya soon ! :P
I live in my own little world, But it's OK they know me there.
Kev
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Kev »

Stanley wrote:Hi dua anjing.
... maybe you should meet up with a few vicco kneelos and try their equipment before you make a decision.
The other vicco kneelos wont lend me their boards ...hum... I don't know why...
of course we will lend Stan our boards ... perhaps not our newest board cos it might come back as two boards
8)

take Stan up on the offer
we have many boards in different configurations and as Stan said, Red has too many boards

a surf session wth Stan and I and we have some options
http://www.diyfactory.com/surf/Kev01.htm
The Freak is Dane's old board ... you are welcome to try it and I have a variety of Speed fins
Dane surfs the west coast ... try to hook up with him ... he is here on this ksusa-forum

Stan's blog is also mirrored at
http://www.diyfactory.com/surf/StanKofo ... Kofoed.htm
and we hope to get some of Red's designs idea here too

... I want to get back into the swing of it all so I don't embarass myself to much.
forget the embarassment
just hook up ... I assure you, I'm no star ... surfing with these guys is fun and their knowledge and encouragement will make a difference
we often bump into Tim K or Pomy and that just makes is better
obviously the Island also has some cool fellows to catch up with
just keeps your eyes open cos the Victorian Kneelos are out there
wolruss

What board to learn on

Post by wolruss »

Hey Dua anjing,
I know I'm from up north (Wollongong) but I can only recommend what the boys are saying, forget the embarassment and get out there with them - it's about the commraderie the guys radiate, the performance improvement is a sideline to that, and it will, the idea , now that you have the bug is to keep the fires of kneelodom stoked and the boys will help you keep that up until you reach the next step of "s*&^ did I really do that". I been back into it for a couple of years now and decided to join the Aussie circuit to meet some people with the same stoke and I'm so glad I did- met Stan, Jim, Pommy and a whole lot of other Vicco's made me feel welcome and they are genuine guys, talked to Kev via this site - do yourself a favour and hook up with them, you'll never look back.
Jeese that was a lengthy rant, hope your pockets aren't to wet boys.

Cheers Wolruss
red

Post by red »

Hi
I posted a pics of a few boards in the Boards section
My philosophy to board design is a little different to the prevailing mentality. I like aggressive designs that have speed to spare but remain loose enough to point vert.

I've found that many shaper's solutions to speed ends up with boards that project too far ahead of the lip and are hell to get vert without drift off the bottom (hence the tight looping top turns prevelent in much top surfing - the boards take guys too far away from the curl). Anyway, I've been working at my designs for a number of years now, based on my 30+ years of kneeboarding, around 20 of which have been fairly competitive, and I'm happy where they've got to. Check out the pics of a few recent ones.