This weeks large swell

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

surfhorn
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by surfhorn »

Just south of Capitola had nice waves in the 8 foot range but a little too much face for my liking. But beggars can't be chosers, eh?! Only about 20 standups out but they still can't take off deeper than a KBer.

My son-in-law Nick scored down at El Cap with a few other people out....including Kelly Slater and Jack Johnson. Nick said that he made sure that he didn't hog too many waves from the celebrities.
kbing since plywood days
badknees1
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Blackies and 28th

Post by badknees1 »

Maxb - got there about 9 or so, didn't see you, probably just missed you or didn't look in the right place. My bad, unfamiliar wit NP but got educated today. I'll be baack. Camera works good. We'll try to coordn8 when possible.
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Be carefull :cry:

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/12/ ... -Death.php

http://images.google.com/images?q=ghost ... s&ct=title

12-04) 18:34 PST San Francisco (AP) --

A big wave rider died Tuesday at the unforgiving surf break known as Ghost Trees, a Monterey County spot known for its fast-moving 20-foot and better waves.

Peter Davi, 45, of Monterey, lost his surfboard and was attempting to swim to shore, but never made it, witnesses told authorities. Friends of Davi lost sight of him and later found him floating in the water unconscious.

Monterey County Sheriff's Sgt. Dennis English said a department search and rescue team responded to a report of a surfer in distress, but that Davi was dead by the time the team got to Pebble Beach.

"It's just extremely high surf. Waves are crashing against the rocks, kind of dangerous," he said. "It's primo conditions for surfers."

According to the official Mavericks Web site, Davi was one of the early pack of brave surfers to test themselves at Mavericks after word got around about its massive waves.

Jeff Clark, the founder of the Mavericks surf contest, surfed Mavericks alone for 15 years before sharing his secret with close friends — including Davi. Clark described Davi as a "rambunctious big wave rider" and the two took a few surf trips together.

"He was one of the early guys that I was able to convince to come up and surf Mavericks with me. He was like blown away at how big a wave it was," Clark said.

Davi's death came just days before the waiting period was set to open for the big wave surf contest at Mavericks off the shore of Half Moon Bay, where equally large swells rolled in Tuesday.

The scary surf also attracted spectators who had to be chased off cliffside property in exclusive Pebble Beach, English said. California Highway Patrol officers were called in to ticket motorists who flooded the scenic 17-mile Drive.

A high surf advisory was in place for the coastal Bay Area Tuesday, issued by the National Weather Service. That meant dangerous surf and eager surfers along the popular Central Coast breaks.

In Santa Cruz, lifeguards had to evacuate at least four surfers from the Mitchell's Cove surf spot after high tide rolled in. Authorities confirmed they also rescued a nearly hypothermic man found face down about a quarter-mile off the coast of Capitola, the Santa Cruz Sentinel.

Further north, the U.S. Coast Guard and the San Mateo Sheriff's Department searched for a fishing vessel with two people aboard off Pillar Point.

Clark spoke about the dangers of taking to the waves on a day when advisories were in effect and rough swells were the norm along the coast.

"The ocean is a place that really has no conscience. It's something you have to be prepared for. You live your life to the fullest, do the best you can and keep going," a solemn Clark said.
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
maxb

Post by maxb »

knees,i had to leave about 8:30 to take care of some business sorry i missed you. we definitely should get together for a session sometime. i did manage to get back in the water for round 2 at seal southside 12-3.all in all not the swell called for, but there were a few good ones to be had.hey it's alot better than what we have been riding.anyway i want to know who really got the goods and where
kbing newport
badknees1

next time

Post by badknees1 »

Ok Maxb - we'll catch up at NP soon
Scott

Post by Scott »

It wasn't an overhyped swell at Mavericks, for sure. The video just posted on Surfline from this last Tuesday below has some super heavy waves and plenty of them. But a couple of the wipeouts were just horrendous--and Flea just tows out afterward for a few more!

http://www.surfline.com/video/video_pla ... m?id=12653
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Thanks for the vid Scott, that was awesome. Dan Malloy had a rad drop on one.
Twiggy had a great one at Ghost Trees. That place looks heavier than Mavs.
Meanwhile I have the week off, and no waves :(
OK, I know there is no whining in kneeboarding :lol:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

Rocky Point/Black Rock
KneeBumps

Post by KneeBumps »

Mike, Did you ever hit the lake? Just curious, sounded cool, and I've thought about getting up there myself on a long fetch pattern.
I've been travelling for a bit and missed some posts.
"All I want in this life of mine is some good clean fun
All I want in this life and time is some hit and run"
Lowell George
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

KneeBumps wrote:Mike, Did you ever hit the lake? Just curious, sounded cool, and I've thought about getting up there myself on a long fetch pattern.
I've been travelling for a bit and missed some posts.
I did K, pics are in the main gallery, and also in Misc. It wasn't very good though, but it was "cool" in more ways than one :lol:

Rocky Point/Black Rock
stemple

Post by stemple »

Just got back from a three day road trip to SB. Got in four sessions. tuesday evening rincon ( 8 foot at 2 pm TOH every 1/3 set by 5:15 pm). Caught four waves in 2.5 hours, three of them from the river mouth all the way into the freeway sweet but took some beatings as well. Wednesday day along gaviota coast at break called POs. A sucking cobblestone semi point. Watched Cripple crusader pull into a few pits there as well. I did scope two new previously unknown breaks in the area later that afternoon. Stumbled across one at about 4:45 pm with only four guys out and they were getting pitted silly. They were calling the place tar babies. You can't see the parking or the break from the Highway, sweet. I going to keep that one in mind for next time.

Thursday morning DP, quick high tide sandspit; Not really worth it but I got wet then a frustrating session at Rincon on the way back to airport in the afternoon. Saw a few other kneelos, JackG included. Jack seemed to be getting waves as i was always out of position. It was crowded and competitive.

I would have to say that every decent point in the area was obscenely crowded. I checked el cap on wednesday morning and counted at least 60 guys in the water and while I was watching for 10 minutes, at least 10 more paddled out. It was a freakin zoo! Cameras everywhere. I really wanted to surf it but could bring myself to paddle out into that crowd level.

All in all a decent business/pleasure trip but I saw cars from SLO to Newport. Every surfer in SLO, SB, Ventura, and LA counties must have gone out on Wednesday, and a lot of them headed for SB. I also heard that a significant contingent of Santa Cruz pros were seem posing for the cameras at sandspit wednesday afternoon. I also saw Jack Johnson walking up the path from Rincon on tuesday afternoon.

Give me smaller crowds, freakin cold water, and big sharks any day.

Total broken board count witnessed, three, but there were probably more!
alfredo zavala

Post by alfredo zavala »

Thanks for the report bro!
I was really depressed all week thinking about surfing El Cap.
Your report cured me instantly!! :D
I guess the only thing worse than not being able to surf at all is seeing perfect waves going by and not being able to surf them!!
Sprocky

Post by Sprocky »

Hit Campus on Wednesday, way too crowded for the quality, and Deveraux on Thursday. Deveraux was bigger, more consistent, and only had a few guys out. Finally had a chance to try the 6'3" Island freak I got from Jamie McHugh in the kind of waves it was built for. Works insane and can't wait for the next swell. I'll be up in SB/Lompoc a lot this season for anyone that wants to join me somewhere.
Why do Moroccan tree climbing goats make great pets?
a. They'll mow, and fertilize, your lawn.
b. They can climb trees!
c. Goat's milk, cheese, yogurt, etc is pretty tasty
d. The goats themselves are pretty tasty.
e. All of the above
W.G. Facenda

Post by W.G. Facenda »

The biggest problem in the Ventura-SB area's were that most of the crowds were from Orange and LA counties and Santa Cruz. Very few guys out at Sandspit were from SB. It was a freakin INVASION! :shock:
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

WG - it is more complicated than that. Reefs and points that will handle the swell direction, kelp to help with the wind, a much more mobile work force and lots more information. Guess you gotta keep the secrets when (and if) you have them! Don't forget - from May to October/Nov the SB crew does a lot of driving......

Besides - all the spots that have been named here have been crowded since the 70's