Kneeboard Artists

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

Headwax.
Legend (Contribution King!)

Kneeboard Artists

Post by Headwax. »

seeing the thread on Romanovsky tells me that, apart from our hot shapers, and fellows like tomway who take it one step further, we have quite a few kneelo artists who excell in other artistic fields

Here's two:

Bryn

http://www.creaturebotiks.com/

Big gallery opening this week. Good luck Bryn :idea: :lol:

and surferbob

http://www.members.westnet.com.au/surfe ... Birch.html

Bob started knee boarding when he was fifty years old. Never looked back. I was lucky enough to have him as my painting teacher for a few years :)
Scott

Post by Scott »

Very neat to see both of these--such talent.

Bob's site was quite expansive and well worth the download time. The sketchbook was amazing; a great glimpse into what he picks out to work on. Such brilliant colors!!
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

yep :)

Bob's sketchbooks are bloody damn amazing!!!!! :idea:

On one of our first sessions with him (Newcastle tech) he pulled out one of his sketchbooks as an example of what we should buy for ourselves (size, paper type etc). I remember sitting there watching the beautiful water colours and pen and ink drawings flashing past and thinking "why is this guy showing me an illustrated book he's bought from angus and robertson"

It took me a few minutes to realise that the book he was showing us was, in fact, not a published book, but a book full of wonderous small paintings, done in forests, or in the desert (meekathara or palestinian), or at the station while waiting for the train, everything annotated in Bob's long hand running writing, the kind of writing that would do an egyptian scribe proud .........

worth the download time indeed :)

(no waves today, just as well, it's friggin freezing)
Bryn
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Bryn »

Thanks the 'wax!

Really excited about the opening now, there's nothing quite like it in this neck of the woods so fingers crossed we'll do well! Just having a workspace with a few like minded good friends has been a true inspiration so far anyway so if i manage to sell anything that will be a huge bonus.:D

Typical though there's a bit of swell around at long last and i'm going to be mainly painting walls and hanging pictures!:roll:

Really must update my website, its all digital work apart from the few sketches, need to get my paintings on there!:oops:

There must be more out there, anyone?
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Here's another kneeboard artisit but in a different medium. Jon Manss builds killer custom furniture.

http://www.jsmwoodworks.com/portfolio.html
kbing since plywood days
DarcyM

Post by DarcyM »

Jon Manss' woodworking is just superb. Photos don't do it justice, you have to touch it. (Just received a beautiful Manss' original cabinet for my house -- gorgeous! Thanks Jon!)
:D
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
kneelingBROTHA

Post by kneelingBROTHA »

Not to toot my own horn, but I had a self-portrait show in an art show, and will have a cross-processed picture digitally printed and framed/hanged in a local camera shop's gallery soon. Here's my website:

www.emulsionphoto.com (I don't know if I'm going to update my subscription to the domain, it may be defunct as of July 3rd)

and here's the group that put on the art show; you can find my self-portrait that showed on the site under artist bios, "marcus bockman":

www.soah.org

Just thought I'd chime in here. Hopefully you guys are stoked on some of my stuff.

--marc
dropkneeing is a sin...isn't it?
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Marc - Thanx for the info. We'll never know the depth of our KB/artist connection if people don't step forward.

So, now - how many other KBing artists do we have out there?
kbing since plywood days
kneelingBROTHA

Post by kneelingBROTHA »

Thanks man, I appreciate it.
dropkneeing is a sin...isn't it?
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

good stuff marc

partiularly like this image

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/6895 ... 0xx4fs.jpg

and its good to expose you own work,

sharing your work with someone else is a pleasure (as well as scary :) )

and the john s mans woodwork is classic!

how did it go Bryn??
Willy Kelly

Post by Willy Kelly »

You have all mentioned great kneeboard artists. I have a John Manss coffee table, and it is beautiful. The last coffee table I'll ever need, built with quality and all handcrafted.

But no one has mentioned Tom Backer. He is an awesome artist. I have a surf shrine that he made for me and it is one of my favorite art pieces that I own. He has also made trophies for the Santa Cruz contests. If you haven't seen his work I suggest you check it out sometime.

Off to the Mentawais with a boat load of kneelos 8)
Peace and good waves,
Willy
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Willy - Tom's trophy art is, indeed, classic.

Catch a wave for me on your trip.
kbing since plywood days
Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

http://www.lexicon.net/drift/

Rob Slater is an amazing Artist, responsible for the artwork at the Australian War Memorial, also created some amazing trophies over the years, board sprays second to none, owns a signwriting business, Limestone and timber carvings, Web Developer, Photographer, Video Maker, etc

album_showpage.php?pic_id=1123

album_showpage.php?pic_id=1127

album_showpage.php?pic_id=1126

Robs a gold character aswell
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
Jon Manss

Post by Jon Manss »

Thanks for the props guys. Lot's of fun seeing some fresh artist from the other half of the hemisphere good post Mr. Wax. By the way where are your paintings. Didn't I see your paintings as your avatar?. I also have the fine art work of Tom Backer unfortunately one piece is a trophy for the best wipe out and the tragic thing is no one who voted could pick out the best one. They just thought I was good at it. :roll:
Shelfbreak

Post by Shelfbreak »

hey Jon

Count your blessings some sunshine coast boys weren't competing for that wipeout award. By way of example our local champ, Steve 'Meat' Thomas tells me after one wipeout at Point Cartright that he surfaced minus his rash vest and totally dacked (boardshorts only retained by legrope). :lol:

Moves like that transcend sport and art - I think it's called performance art.

Apologies to the real artists.
Shelfbreak