Flashpoint Tri-fish

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

kneemor
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Flashpoint Tri-fish

Post by kneemor »

Do any of you surf a Flashpoint Tri fish? How does it differ from a rounded pin.

I currently surf Parkes and Blast tris and comtemplating getting a Flashpoint Fish.

Mr. Hart how much to buy and ship one to California?

:D Image
Ted
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by Ted »

maybe we could send mine with yours and save on the big shipping bill???Let me know.
kneemor

Post by kneemor »

that sounds like a plan...need mr.hart to reply though.
Bryn

Post by Bryn »

Hi Kneemor,

I've beenriding a Flashpoint 5'10" x 23.25" Tri fish very similar to the pic you posted for a few months now and have nothing but praise! My surfing has improved no end because i have found i don't really have to think about what the board is doing, it just does it. Was riding a Parkes quad before which was also great but after finding the sweet spot, my Flashpoint truly felt like a magic board after my 2nd session on it. Put it on edge and it just flys, holds in solidly in the pit and turns to order.
willli

Post by willli »

this is a minor point but the board you pictured is NOT a fish. all split tails are not "fish". more properly, you posted a swallow tail. The fish has a much straighter rail outline running to the tail points, hence a much wider tail. Those straight rails go a long way to defining how a "fish" rides as does the preferred (for that outline) twin or quad skeg plan. I have a board on order from Mr. Hart that I am VERY excited about. (see Misc section this website .. "Innermost limits", near the end). What Mr. Hart does with foam exceeds what he says in words.
viewtopic.php?t=361
album_pic.php?pic_id=1268
album_pic.php?pic_id=1269
Note: reduction in file size to enable posting has affected resolution/coloring. Any perspective photo of something distorts relative size. note the size difference in the brackets on the shaping stand.
Last edited by willli on Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bryn

Post by Bryn »

Willi,

Spot on, it is a swallow and not a fish without a doubt. A point i should have made! Your board in the works looks a beauty and are very right to get excited about! Can't say more than your last sentence on Mr. Hart...again spot on!
hart
Legend (Contribution King!)
Legend (Contribution King!)

General

Post by hart »

You know,

Surfing is such an 'instinctive' sport that we don't really have time to 'think' what we are doing...well, we shouldn't have to think at least..it should all come as naturally as possible, everytime we are in the water.

I don't want a surfer to say "I'd better get this rail off it's track, because any second now I'm gonna want to cutback"..because, in a second, it's going to be too late.

A rail, for example, needs to be able to sink, provide drive once it does and then release just as easily..all at times, in a nano-second of Human Instinct.

Willli is right about my definition of a Swallow Tail..I kinda believe that outline curve in the back 12-13" of Thrusters is absolutely essential and I rarely would shape what most of us would call a Fish..Fishes have such straight lines running into a tail that they can become one-directional (and in fact one-dimensional also).

To kneemor..the straighter outline curve of a Swallow will give more projection than a Pintail..Pinnies love getting vertical, whereas Swallows will look for walls and length in a wave. I also use Swallows for bigger guys if I am searching for more area (read float) rather than use volume or cork. Then, if verticality is still a prerequisite, I will adjust nose width (for example) to keep the punch off the bottom.

And Bryn, I am so stoked that your newy is doing everything that you say..coz it's the way all modern boards should surf. Too easy.

G'day Ted..have we spoken before? Let me know what your into and we can look at putting something together.

Regards from OZ, to all.